Hi! I'm Penny Boden!
I was born in Victoria, on Vancouver Island, British Columbia (BC), Canada. I grew up in the nearby Cowichan Valley. I spent most of my formative years in Honeymoon Bay, by the wooded shores of Cowichan Lake.
Mom ensured my 3 siblings and I grew up with organic gardening, natural living, and TRUE respect for the environment. Our whole family was quite involved with March Meadows, a 9-hole golf course, where Dad served as Golf Pro.
My artistic endeavors were continually encouraged by my parents. My Grandpa, Frank Ernest Whale, was a multimedia artist. Although he died when I was just 5, his artwork encouraged and inspired me. I wanted to be an artist just like Grandpa!
I enjoyed clay sculpting with Granny in Victoria. Granny and Grandpa's store, Whale’s Arts and Ceramics, on Queen's Avenue in Victoria, was an important part of the family until Granny sold the business and retired.
I was always happiest when drawing with a graphite pencil, enjoying the simplicity and immediacy of the medium. With encouragement I did dabble in other media. When given a choice, I always migrated back to drawing.
As a young mom, I left my homeland and moved to the North Peace Region of BC. The joys and challenges of raising 3 great kids left little time for anything else. My art fell by the wayside for several years. As the kids got older, the artist in me resurfaced.
I am now back in the Cowichan Valley! My forte is still drawing. It serves as a strong foundation for my printmaking, painting and sculpting. My inspiration comes from my love of nature, my organic garden and the interesting folks in my life.
As a Worldwide Art Coach, I help ordinary folks become AMAZING Artists!
Learn with me by joining my FREE Facebook group.
I am an active member of the Federation of Canadian Artists and local artist groups. My work can be found in private and corporate collections around the world.
Penny Boden - Curriculum Vitae
- Hot off the Press, Printmakers Only Group (POG) Duncan BC
- Art in the Barn, Printmakers ONLY Group (POG) Victoria BC
- Black & White, Waterfront Gallery, Ladysmith BC
- Oh Canada! Printmakers Only Group, Duncan BC
- Fine Arts Show, Federation of Canadian Artists - Nanaimo Chapter (NFCA), Nanaimo BC
- Cherry Point Artist Show & Sale, St. Peter's Church, Duncan BC
- Cowichan Valley Fine Arts Show, Island Saving Centre, Duncan BC
- Bright Ideas, PRFCA Juried Show, Beaverlodge AB
- Ravens, Peace Gallery North, Fort St John BC
- The Long and the Short of It, PRFCA Juried Show, Fort St John BC (Award of Excellence)
- Artists’ Choice, PRFCA Juried Show Dawson Creek BC
- You Say Tomato… (with Judy Templeton) Fort St John BC
- Karta II (print exhibition), Peace Gallery North, Fort St John BC
- Borealis, solo show, Beaverlodge and Area Cultural Centre, Beaverlodge AB
- Permission to Dance, PRFCA Juried Show, Centre for Creative Arts, Grande Prairie AB (Award of Excellence)
- Points of View II – Flying Colours Group Show, Fort St John BC
- Life in the Peace, PRFCA Juried Show, Beaverlodge AB (3rd Prize)
- Smalls, Peace Gallery North, Fort St John BC
- Celebrating Northern BC Artists, Museum of Northern BC, Prince Rupert BC
- Views of the Peace, Peace Gallery North, Fort St John BC
- Karta (print exhibition), Peace Gallery North, Fort St. John BC
- Dimensions of Reality, PRFCA Juried show, Fort St John BC
- Peace Liard Regional Juried Art Exhibition, Fort St John BC (Honorable Mention)
- Points of View – Flying Colours Group Show, Dawson Creek and Fort St John BC
- Small, Smaller, Smallest 2013, FCA Juried Show, Vancouver, BC
- Artist’s Choice 2013, FCA Juried Show, Vancouver BC
- Peace Landscapes, PRFCA Juried Show, Dawson Creek BC (Award of Excellence)
- Peace without Borders, PRFCA Juried Show, Beaverlodge AB, (Award of Excellence)
- Still Life 2013, FCA Juried Show, Vancouver BC
- Art of the Peace 10th Anniversary Exhibition, (Juried Show) Grande Prairie AB
- Flying Colours Premier Exhibit, Fort St John BC
- Landscapes 2013, FCA Juried Show, Vancouver BC
2011 – 2012
- Peace Squared, PRFCA Juried Show, Grande Prairie AB
- Peace Liard Regional Juried Art Exhibition, Dawson Creek BC
- Peace Connections, PRFCA Juried Show, Fort St John BC (People’s Choice Award)
- 15 Easy Pieces, with Miep Burgerjon and Louise Ruddell, Fort St John BC
- New Beginnings, PRFCA Juried Show, Dawson Creek BC
- Victoria Edgar & Alain Costaz - printmaking
- Dan Arberry - drawing
- Sarah Norquay - printmaking
- Mary Parslow - printmaking
- Elizabeth Harris – drawing and acrylic painting
- Mike Svob – acrylic painting
- Barbara Daley – art journaling
- Suzanne Northcott - acrylic painting
- Teressa Bernard – acrylic painting
- Roberta Combs – watercolour painting
- Grant Fuller – watercolour painting
- Mareth Warren – watercolour painting
- Federation of Canadian Artists (FCA)
- Printmakers only Group, Duncan/Cowichan BC
- Cowichan Valley Arts Council, Duncan/Cowichan BC
- Ladysmith Arts Council, Ladysmith BC
- Art Workshop Instructor, Elder College, Duncan BC
- Art Mentoring through home-visits in the Cowichan Valley & Nanaimo Area
- Professional Development Workshop Facilitator, Cowichan Area Teachers' Association, Duncan BC
- Online Art Instructor & Mentor, Drawing for Success, Learn.PennyBoden.ca
- Visiting Art Instructor, Upper Pine School, Rose Prairie BC
- Visiting Art Instructor, Taylor Kids' Kamp, District of Taylor BC
- Artist in Residence, Clearview School, Flatrock BC
- Children's Art Instructor, Peace Art Gallery Society, Fort St John BC
- Visiting Art Instructor, Planet Kids Summer Camp, Northern Environmental Action Team & ArtSpace, Fort St. John BC
- Mentoring & Workshops for Adults & Children in my own home studio
- Art Workshop Instructor, ArtSpace, North Peace Cultural Centre, Fort St John BC
- Fine Arts Classroom Teacher, School District 60, Peace River North, Fort St John BC
- Teacher at School District 60, Peace River North, 2005-2012
- Bachelor of General Studies – Simon Fraser University BC 2006
- Professional Teaching Certificate – BC College of Teachers 2006
- Social Services Worker Diploma – Northern Lights College, Fort St John BC 1999